A number of studies suggest that regular physical activity and strength training help stabilize the testosterone level in the body. However, it is worth considering the fact that not all types of exercises are equally effective in this case.
Testosterone is found in both the male and female body. There is only a difference between its quantity-the female body is characterized by its lower level. There are also differences in the body parts that produce this hormone: the testicles are responsible for this in the male body, and the adrenal glands and ovaries – in the female.
Despite the differences in the amount of testosterone in the body of men and women, it is very important for everyone to maintain its optimal level throughout life to reduce the risk of health problems.
Can Sports Increase Testosterone Level?
Many studies have been conducted, the main purpose of which was to identify the relationship between the testosterone level on the body and physical activity. Their results are given below:
- The level of testosterone increased in the male body after lifting heavy objects, while this had no effect on hormone levels in the female body.
- Strength training helps to reduce fat mass and boost testosterone levels in the female body in the short term.
- The positive effect of constant physical activity on the level of testosterone in the body and on the mental activity of a person.
- Boost testosterone levels by 14.5% in men who actively engaged in strength exercises for a year, but had never done so before.
- Men who constantly exercise have higher testosterone levels compared to men who lead a sedentary lifestyle.
It is worth noting that increasing the level of testosterone in the body has a direct effect on increasing muscle mass.
However, not all exercises help to increase the level of the hormone in the blood. Keep reading to find out what types of physical activity will help control testosterone production.
Resistance Exercises And Testosterone
This type of physical activity is the most efficacious way to increase hormone levels in both the long and short term. This is especially true for men.
The results of studies show that testosterone levels boost when doing resistance exercises 3 times a week for 4 weeks both immediately after training and some time after them. However, the percentage of increase in the level of the hormone is the highest for men, and slightly lower for women.
Does High-Intensity Interval Training Increase Testosterone?
This type of physical activity is a very effective way to increase testosterone levels exclusively in the male body. Thus, the research results suggest that a quick run on a treadmill for 90 seconds with an alternation of 90 seconds of rest gives better results than a normal run for 45 minutes.
Numerous studies conducted at different times confirm these results.
Women should make sure that testosterone levels are not too high in their body, otherwise, it will lead to negative consequences. That is why they should avoid exercises that increase the level of the hormone in the blood.
Exercises That Don’t Boost Testosterone Level
There are a number of exercises which effectiveness in increasing testosterone levels has not been proven by research:
- High-intensity interval training for women. This type of physical activity has an effect, the opposite effect on the male body – doing HIIT by women testosterone level decreases.
- To date, there is no evidence that this type of training helps to optimize testosterone levels.
David Marsel. Work with Beth Israel Medical Center. Use modern high-tech methods of treatment, such as laser, photodynamic therapy and fluorescence diagnostics. David has advanced training certificates in urology, andrology, laser medicine.
David Marsel is a member of the European Association of urologists. The main areas of professional activity are urology, andrology, complex therapy of Peyronie’s disease, photodynamic therapy.
Now a Consultor on several medical portals.